Get Control!™ of Email and Info
Email Overload is Epidemic in the Workplace
Employees now spend over 40 percent of their workday on email—and consider more than a third of that time a waste.* What’s more, companies are losing money—some $500 billion a year—in lost productivity and profits.
What’s the good news? There is a lot you can do to deal with email overload. But first, you have to stop spinning your wheels—and start managing your email. The Get Control!™ of Email and Info program offers five low-tech, highimpact strategies:
- Achieve stress-free productivity while saving 15 days a year.
- Get fewer emails by sending fewer emails. By targeting your emails—limiting the “Reply to All” and “Cc” functions—you can cut the number of recipients per email.
- Start every message with a specific subject line and a brief greeting—no more than eight words—and then use the A-B-C method (Action, Background, and Close).
- Offer your frequent senders a few really good tips. Coaching others can help them win too.
- Create a limited number of mutually exclusive folders that are based on content—not on sender, software, or some other criteria—and label everything carefully.
The workshop covers two critical key areas—
1) managing your email efficiently using email etiquette and 2) filing your email in a way that helps you easily find things later—while teaching four power tools for successful email management:
- The 1-2-3 Email Quantity Tool™—Before you send an email, ask yourself if it is needed, appropriate, and targeted.
- The A-B-C Email Quality Tool™—Make sure your email subject line is brief and specific, write a brief, warm greeting, and use the A-B-C method to split the email body into three sections—Action (summarizing the purpose), Background (presenting the key points), and Close (clarifying the next steps).
- The Info-Coaching Tool—Accept email coaching from others, coach yourself, and coach others on successful email practices.
- The COTA® Tool—Create distinct and universal categories to file and find information—Clients, Output, Teams, and Admin.
Individuals in a supervisory or management role; all employees within the organization
This workshop provides opportunities to build competence and commitment in writing, managing, and storing and retrieving effective, targeted emails. In an energizing, interactive, and safe environment, participants practice the strategies that will help them bring the info-channel portion of their lives back under control.
- A culture change that sets the standards for writing clear, concise, and targeted emails
- A common language and approach for successfully managing email overload
- Improved email communication skills through practice, feedback, and coaching
- An ability to file and find information more quickly and easily
Program Delivery Options
Blanchard’s Get Control! of Email and Info program is available to individuals and organizations through a variety of delivery methods.
Online Version Also Available
The Email Efficiency and Etiquette Online Program
Length: 45 minutes
The Email Efficiency and Etiquette Online Program has helped thousands of professionals cut email time and write better messages. When your email is clear, concise, and actionable, your productivity soars and you can attain stretch goals. Email Efficiency and Etiquette places participants on a fictional business team that is struggling with email overload. The goal is to get more done by reducing email volume and writing better messages while helping colleagues do the same. This engaging online course is filled with interactive exercises, lasting insights, and streaming video tech tips that dramatically change the way participants manage their email.
Contact us for details on the online program
* Based on research by GetControl.net